Sunday, May 1, 1892

It was pleasant in the forenoon but rainy in the afternoon. We all did chores in the morning. I took care of the sheep and then helped finish up all of the chores. I got black Fannie ready for Cora and Carrie and Lillie Bellinger to go to church. Then I let the sheep out and fed the other horses.

After church, Father and Mother Bellinger came here with baby Stewart and Leta to spend the day. They stayed until just before milking. When they left, it was raining quite hard. Lillie went back home with them. Leta wanted to stay for a few days and Cora and I said that she could. I told them that I'd take her home when I went to the Falls on Tuesday. Cora said that she would stay with them then to help her mother.

I gave the sick sheep some more medicine at night but she died after all.

Jim Thompson came here to spend the evening. Cora, Carrie, Jim and I played cards.

Monday, May 2, 1892

Today was gloomy and rainy. John Cashmer took black Fannie and drove to the Falls after the Doctor. Baby Edward had a high fever. Mrs. Blowers milked in John's place. Mike and I took care of the horses before breakfast. Then Charlie and I boxed 11 cheese. Mike took care of the cows and got my team ready.

I took 8 3/4# of butter to Stebbins and 19# to Edic. Edic paid me 19 cents per pound = $3.61. I let Silliman have 39# of cheese at 9 1/4 cents = $3.60. Murphy bought 3 bushels of barley for 70 cents per bushel. Murray bought two bushels of barley at 70 cents per bushel. I was paid a total of $3.50 for the barley. I charged 15 cents at Silliman's. I bought feed for the cows at Gage's and paid $20.30 for it. I bought a barn broom at Gardenier's for 50 cents. I bought 1810 feet of lumber from W. H. Eaton and paid $8.10 in full for it. Taylor & Markham sold me a step ladder for 75 cents. I saw S. Mang and paid him $1 for driving the cows up to my farm. The horse bill today was 25 cents. I delivered the 428# of boxed cheese to the lower freight house and had them shipped to Underhill, New York. I didn't get the bill and told Snell to look out for them for me. I picked up the mail and received a check from New York for the last cheese shipment, $47.04.

I contracted with Smith for pasturing for the colts. I will pay him $4 for the season for the yearlings and $5 for the two year olds. I sold him 5 gallons of syrup at 85 cents to be delivered at Kaine's.

Mike's youngest boy is very sick. The Doctor said it was pneumonia and there wasn't much he could do.

Tuesday, May 3, 1892

Today was rainy and bad all day. We all did chores in the morning and took care of the horses. I looked the ground over, took care of the sheep and the pigs. John and I cleaned old Dolly and got the colt ready. John took the colt and the buggy and drove Katie Jennings down to school. Katie is staying with us. The colt is driving very nicely. Cora and Leta got ready. We went around by McFeeley's to the Falls. McFeeley bought three gallons of syrup from me for $2.55. 1 bought two pigs from him for $5.50. 1 paid him the balance of $2.95 in full. I left 2 1/2 gallons of syrup at McEvoy's. Then we went on to Bellinger's. We had dinner there and I left Cora and Leta there until Sunday.

After dinner, I went down to the Falls and had the buggy fixed. I paid 80 cents for the repairs. I saw Gillette and he gave me a contract. I took it to Walter Cooper who is to use the lot for 1892. He agreed to settle on Monday next. I paid 16 cents for the horse bill and postage. I got Buskirk's jar and Tefft's jar for butter. I got home in time for milking. Mike said that his boy was not improving. Blowers paid me 16 cents for 13 ounces of butter.

Wednesday, May 4, 1892

Today was rainy and bad. We all did chores in the morning. Kaine helped milk too. After breakfast, I helped Mike get the colts and the platform wagon ready. I gave him $20 and he went to the Falls after a coffin for his son. The boy died last night. Mike said he'd be back to help with the milking at night.

I worked with the colt in the morning. I drove her on the cart and she drove nice. Then I took the mare, Lill and went to McEvoy's. I took them 2 1/2 gallons more of syrup, making 5 gallons in all. He paid me $4.25 for it. I let Mrs. McFeeley have 2 gallons for $1.50 and got 50 cents, difference on the pigs. I came back home and John and I fixed fence on the line between us and Brockett's. John bought 4 1/2 pounds of butter from me at 19 cents per pound = 81 cents. Charlie bought 2 1/2 pounds of butter at 19 cents and 2 hens at 60 cents each = $1.68.

Thursday, May 5, 1892

The weather was quite pleasant. Mike did not work today. Mrs. Blowers milked in his place. After breakfast, Mike and I got the horses and the rigs ready. Mike took black Fannie and the buggy and went to Newport with his wife. I drove the colts and the platform wagon and took their son with the coffin and rough box to the burying ground. The minister was there and a few relatives. They had a very small service.

On the way home, I stopped in Fairfield and paid Mother's dues of $1.55. 1 bought 4 pounds of fish from Wiseman and paid 40 cents for them. I came home, fed the team, and had my dinner. John was fixing fence all afternoon. I went to fixing fence also. Blowers took the black team and plowed the piece in the orchard for his garden. Mike came home as we were starting the evening milking. After he took care of the horse, he came and helped us finish the milking.

Carrie took old Lill and the phaeton and went to the Society meeting at Uncle Joel's. Cora did not go to the meeting. Carrie said that there were quite a few in attendance.

Friday, May 6, 1892

Today was gloomy and cool. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I had some writing to do. I wrote a letter to S. McDavin and one to J. Mang, Sr. John went to plow his garden. Kaine finished the chores and went to fix the fences. John helped with the fences as soon as he finished plowing the garden.

In the afternoon, I got the bay, Fannie and the end spring buggy ready for Carrie. I gave her $5 and my letters to mail. She went to the Falls. I worked on the fences until milking time.

Saturday, May 7, 1892

We all did the morning chores. After breakfast, I took the colt and the cart and went to the Falls. I took some wool to sell but could not sell it. I left it in Randall's barn until Monday when I'll bring it back home. I had the colt shod on her front feet and paid Tefft 60 cents for the same. My horse bill was 10 cents and I paid 72 cents for garden seeds. I found a sale for my veal calves. They are to be taken down on Monday and I'll be paid 7 cents per pound of dressed weight.

I got home in the afternoon and went to dragging with the bay colts. John dragged also. Mike and John had been fixing fence in the forenoon. We finished the old ground the second time over. It is now ready to plant. John plowed the cabbage patch.

Sunday, May 8, 1892

Today was cold and gloomy. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I took care of the horses. The old mare appeared to be sick. I stayed with her for awhile. She should foal soon but probably later today. Then I took Little Dolly and went down to Father Bellinger's after Cora. Mr. & Mrs. McHeath called there and also Ed Goodell and Maude Broat came to visit. We all had supper and then started away. I got home to milk some. Katie Jennings, the teacher came here in the evening to stay for a week.

Monday, May 9, 1892

The weather was very nice. We all did the morning chores. The old mare had her colt last night. She and the colt appear to be fine. After breakfast, I got 2 jars of butter ready and helped box 8 cheese. I took them to the Falls along with two veal calves. Ransom took the calves at 5 cents per pound live weight. They weighed 306#. He paid me $15.30.

I delivered the butter to the Cooperative Store and got the pay for it of $1.71. Buskirk paid me $1.81 for his jar of butter. Youker took one cheese for $4.47 and Silliman took two cheese and paid me $7.04 for them. VanAlstyne bought two cheese and paid $6.63 for them. I shipped three cheese, weighing 40#, 42#, and 45# to New York City. They were shipped to Underhill to be sold on commission. I received a check from him for $35.06, for 10 of last week's shipment of cheese. Cooper gave me a check for $40 as lot rent. Murphy and Murray paid me $3.50 for barley. I paid the bank note of Gage in the amount of $51.04. 1 paid Randall in full $15 on the borrowed money. I could not sell my wool. I paid $5 for 4 bushels of sowed corn seed, $1.10 for one hundred pounds of cornmeal for Cashmer, 30 cents for cornmeal for the house, 40 cents for rice, 9 cents for tar paper, 25 cents for tobacco for Blowers, a barrel of coal for 88 cents, and 4 drag teeth for 75 cents. My dinner and the horse bill cost 40 cents. I charged a barrel of sugar and one dozen pineapples at Silliman's.

John took the colts and dragged the garden. Then he took the scraper and went down the road and back one time to smooth out the road. He dragged the field with the blacks and also his garden today. Kaine planted potatoes in the garden and fixed fence today. I left the five gallons of syrup at Kaine's house for Smith to pick up. Mrs. Blowers milked in Charlie's place at night. Charlie dragged his garden while we were milking.

Tuesday, May 10, 1892

Today was very nice but there were indications of rain. We all did the morning chores. After breakfast, John and I got the barley and oats ready to sow. Veterinary Surgeon Rowe came and floated Jess's teeth, castrated the colt named Frank, and pulled one wolf tooth out of the sorrel, Nell. He looked at the sick colt but didn't think it would make it. I paid him $3.50 in full of account for the whole job.

John and Mike started sowing and finished by noon. They sowed 50 bushels of barley and 42 bushels of oats. Keal Broat came here to look at the colt but he would not buy it. I took the colts and finished dragging the piece in the afternoon. John and Charley dragged the grain in on 10 1/2 acres in the afternoon. Mike sowed grass seed on the lower field. He said that Smith did not pick up the syrup. I wanted to see Smith's pasture so I took the five gallons of syrup and drove the bay colt and buggy over to see Smith. We looked over the pasture and c. on the way home, I saw Mamie O'Hara and asked her if she could go to help Ettie. She could not go. I drove down to Uncle Will's and got Mother. I borrowed Uncle Will's grass seeder. John got one bushel of potatoes for 40 cents. I nursed the sick colt.

Wednesday, May 11, 1892

The weather was rainy and bad. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, Kaine helped me mix the clover and grass seed. John took the black team and bushed the small piece by the woods and then dragged it until it rained. I took the seeder and seeded one acre and then it rained.

I gave John and Charlie a half day off. John and his wife took $10 and went to the Falls with bay Fannie and the end spring buggy. Charlie and his wife took $12 and Black Fannie and the phaeton and went to the Falls. I also paid Charlie a bet of $1. John and his wife got back and helped milk. Blowers and his wife got back at dark. Kaine took care of the cows and cleaned the colts' stable. He also churned the butter. I did some writing all afternoon.

At night, Cora, Carrie, and I took Jess and the buggy and went down to the Grange meeting. Cora took two degrees as a Granger. I paid $1 to Uncle Will Keller as Cora's initiation fee. There was only a small crowd there. We got home about 12 o'clock.

Windecker's cheese maker came here to see our cheese and thought that they were very good. This last sale took 10 and 22/100 per pound of cheese.

Thursday, May 12, 1892

Today was gloomy and rainy. We all did chores in the morning. Kaine took the day off today to plant his garden. He took one bushel of potatoes and took the black team, stone boat, spring tooth harrow, and plows. He worked in his garden until milking time. John Cashmer took care of the cows and then took the bay horses and went to fixing fence. Charlie Blowers raked up the back yard and helped John draw two loads of hay in the cow barn. I got old Lill ready and took Katie Jennings to school. Then I got ready and took Cora down to her folks to help them. I went down to the Falls from there. I took 131 pounds of butter and 11 dozen eggs to the Grange store. I received $2.43 for the butter and $1.54 for the eggs. I bought 18 cents worth of nails, paid 10 cents for a jar, and 60 cents for a package of peas. I took 5 dozen eggs to Buskirk at 14 cents per dozen = 70 cents paid. I got cans from Gross and he has 3 3/4 gallons of syrup not paid for. I went to settle with Ladue and he could not on account of not having his bill. I paid the Post office for Carrie's order to send for roses. I paid the horse bill of 10 cents and 25 cents on the storage of my barley. I saw Fitzgerald and he said that the Pickert suit was postponed until the 31st of May. The tannery would not tan one single hide so I brought the colt hide back home. I got home to milk. We had only about 750# of milk.

Friday, May 13, 1892

Today was pleasant with indications of rain. We all did the chores in the morning. After breakfast, I did some writing. John cleaned Lill and Dolly. He got Dolly ready and took Katie to school. Then he went to Uncle Joel's to get the grass seeder and samples of paper. Kaine had the chores finished when John got back. They both went to sowing seed and finished about 2 o'clock. I raked some quack grass and got the horses ready in the forenoon.

In the afternoon, I got Lill and the rig ready for Carrie. She went down to Ransom's to help prepare for Miny's funeral but there was enough help there. She got home about dark. Kaine washed the sidebar and platform wagon. I drew waste stuff away from the back side of the house, cobs & c., and took them down in the gulf. I then helped Charles get one load of manure for his garden. John's wife milked in his place. I had the little colts out and Frank seems to be all right. John Jennings came after Katie.

Saturday, May 14, 1892

The weather was very nice. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I took the colt and the cart and went to the Falls to see about taking my mare to Amsterdam to be served by that trotting horse of Sanford's. I learned from Rowe that I could not get her served this year. I could not get a chance to get what I wanted so I got Carrie's shoes. I charged the repair bill of 30 cents for the shoes. I bought 50 clams for 40 cents and 2# of crackers for 14 cents. I paid 10 cents for my horse in the barn.

I got home early and went to fixing fence. Kaine and his wife took the old mare and the phaeton and went to the Falls to visit. They will come home on Sunday. Blowers bought 2 bushels of potatoes from me for 80 cents. When the fence was fixed, I did up the chores in the cow stable. Blowers rolled the piece of ground and John dragged on the potato ground. Carrie milked my cows and I milked Blowers' cows.

Sunday, May 15, 1892

Today was rainy and bad. The roads were very bad. In the morning, John, Charlie, and I milked. Mrs. Blowers milked in Mike's place. After breakfast, I took care of the horses, oiled the platform buggy, and cleaned all of the horses. I got the black, Fannie and the buggy ready. Carrie, Cora, and I went to Miny Ransom's funeral. There was a very large attendance. The service did not begin until about 3 o'clock. We did not get home until about 6 o'clock. I only milked 5 cows. Kaine's family came back home about 2 o'clock with Dolly and the phaeton. Mike milked in the evening. Jim Thompson called to spend the evening with Carrie.

Monday, May 16, 1892

Today was a very nice day. We all did chores in the morning. I did some writing after breakfast. Then I got ready to go to the Falls. The boys got my team ready and helped load it up with 16 bushels of oats, 6 bushels of barley, and 20 cheese weighing 948#. Silliman bought 48# of cheese at 9 3/4 cents and gave me credit of $4.69. Youker bought 47# at 9 3/4 cents and paid $4.58. Stacy bought the balance and paid with his check for $83.16. I had the grist ground and paid 89 cents for the grinding. I got 600# of feed from Gage and paid $5.90 for it. I paid Metcalf $15 in full of our account to date. I bought 50 cents worth of postage stamps. I got one barrel of flour from Silliman for Kaine for $6. 1 let Mother and Carrie have $50 as she and Carrie were going to Utica to buy carpets, window shades, & c. I got 7 bags from Snell that he had seed barley in and he paid me $5.60 for the barley. Ed Goodell paid me $4.20 in full for barley. I had Cora's shoe fixed and paid 10 cents. I got a check from Underhill for $11.78 for 3 cheese which were shipped last week. Blowers came down to the Falls with the colt to help sell the cheese and enquire in the market. I gave him $3. He got pretty happy. I started for home about 7 o'clock with the grist and feed and other supplies. I took care of my team and had supper. Mrs. Blowers came to see me, alarmed that Charlie was not home yet. I took Fanny and she and I started out to look for him. We met him at Herringshaw's. He was quite straight and the colt was all right, not warmed up at all. When we got back home, R. E. Simms was here with his horse and rig. I went with him up to Garlines to see the colt. He stayed for awhile in the evening to call on Carrie. I did not get to bed until 11 o'clock. John Mang came in the afternoon and got 5 yearling heifers, 1 yearling bull, and one 2 year old heifer to take to pasture. We had them all marked with a knife in their ear.

Tuesday, May 17, 1892

Today was a very nice day. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, John and I cleaned all of the horses and then got the bay team ready on the platform for Carrie and Hannah Kaine. They went up to Crofoot's to help Ettie clean house. John took our 3 yearling colts up to Newton Smith's to pasture. He took them afoot. Carrie and Hannah did not get to Crofoot's with the team until John did with the colts. He got 10 bushels of potatoes from Crofoot for us, 1 bushel for Kaine and one bushel for himself. He drove the team back home with the load of potatoes. He was home by 3 o'clock and started dragging the potato ground. Mike Kaine and I drew 2 loads of hay, dragged, sowed, seeded, and rolled the little piece near the live forever piece. After dinner, Mike dragged the potato ground with the blacks. I took old Lill and the buggy and went to S. Garline's. I sold the rust colt for $25. Uncle Will Keller went along with me. I gave him $2 which he paid back in the evening. I paid 10 cents for 4 bananas for Uncle Will. I took 10 1/2 pounds of butter to Sullivan. I got back home in time for Milking but Mike Davin was here after his colt and bothered me so I could not milk. Cora milked in my place. Davin paid the bill in full, $31.68 and took his colt. Charlie Blowers went home in the afternoon and did not get back until milking.

Wednesday, May 18, 1892

Today was windy but pleasant. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, John went to drag the corn ground with the black team. I cleaned up the horses, harnessed the bay team, and helped Kaine mix feed for the cows. Then we took old Lill and marked all of the potato ground one way and part of the other. Kaine planted all day. Charlie helped in the afternoon. I helped Charles mark his garden. I put the rake away and took the team and got the spreader and oiled it. After dinner, I put manure on the sowed corn. I put on ten loads alone until milking. I let Mike have 100 pounds of corn meal.

Thursday, May 19, 1892

The weather was fair but windy until evening and then it rained. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, John and I cleaned all of the horses and harnessed both teams. I oiled the spreader and tightened some nuts. We drew manure with the bays and the machine on the sowed corn ground until Kaine had the chores done. Then John and Mike marked out more land and planted potatoes. I worked the spreader in the forenoon and got 12 loads out in the afternoon. Later, I helped load and John drove the team and we spread 6 more to finish the piece. Mother and Cora took old Lill and the buggy and went to Little Falls. They came back home as we were finishing milking. John and Blowers dragged on the sowed corn ground. I went after Fred Windecker to drill in the piece of corn but he could not come until morning. John took the colt and the cart and went to the Falls in the evening. John's wife and Mrs. Blowers milked for him. Mother got paper for one room in Kaine's house and for our kitchen. It cost $1.80 in all. They also bought 1 dozen pineapple for $1 and $1.15 for some medicine for the household use.

Friday, May 20, 1892

Today was rainy and bad. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I did some writing. The boys did up the chores and then put a light fence inside the stone wall in the sheep pasture. They cleaned the sheep barn and the colts stable, and cleaned overhead in the cow barn. I was writing all day. I traded two hens that were setting for two that were laying with Charlie. He fixed the old sink but did not get out doors to work any. John sowed some chaff on the field where the seed did not ketch good.

Saturday, May 21, 1892

It rained steady all day. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I took the colt and the cart and went down to Uncle Will's. I saw his new colt and the new cows and his cheese. We concluded that it would be best to keep the cows in until the rain was over. When I came back home, we drew 3 loads of hay in the cow barn. We drew the hay with the blacks. We sorted potatoes. Then we fixed up the eveners and the whiffletrees. Blowers brought up one of the hens.

Sunday, May 22, 1892

Today was dull and gloomy all day. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I fed, washed, and bandaged Jess's sore leg. I then got ready. Cora and I took the black, Fannie and Lill and the platform and went up to Crofoot's. We went to church with them. Carrie and Hermie rode with us. We took up some onions, molasses and buttermilk. I started for home right after dinner and got here when they were done milking. I brought 4 high boxes along and paid 45 cents, for them. Hannah Kaine rode home with Cora and I. Thompson was at Crofoot's for dinner and Carrie came home with him. Blowers got 2# of butter and Cashmer took 2# of butter. I made up a ball of medicine and John gave it to Jess.

Monday, May 23, 1892

Today was still rainy and bad. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I got the load ready and went to Little Falls. Cora came with me. I took 582# of cheese. I received 9 3/4 cents for all of it. Stacy bought 509# = $49.63. VanAlstyne bought 73# = $7.10. 1 sold 9 dozen eggs at 15 cents = $1.35. McGuire bought 19 1/2# of butter at 19 cents = $3.70. 1 received $2 from Sullivan for the butter, in full. I got 90 cents for a can of syrup from Hyands. I paid Loomis the interest on the $2000 note for one year, $20. 1 paid C. Wilcox $1.50 in full for mortar. I got a rubber cloth for the wagon for $1 and paid 25 cents for making it. I need it to keep my feed dry on the way home. I paid J. E. Gage $5.93 for the feed: 200 corn meal, 50 oil meal, 200 shipps, and 100 middlings. Our dinner cost 25 cents. I bought a tie for myself for 25 cents. I paid Burrell & Co. $4.21 for 52 yards of bandage and one whey strainer, I gallon of castor oil 75 cents, writing tablets 10 cents, horse bill 15 cents, and iron on the axle was 25 cents. I let Cora have $15.

Tuesday, May 24, 1892

It was fair all day but then it rained at night. We all did the chores in the morning. Then I did some writing. Kaine took care of the cows. John took care of the horses and washed Jess's leg with warm water. Kaine said that his little boy was sick. He took black Fanny and went to the Falls with his wife and the little boy to see the doctor. They left about 9 o'clock and got home about chore time.

John and I got a load of hay up for the cows. We drew two loads of manure with the spreader. Then we put up 4 bags of oats and 2 bags of barley. After dinner, I took the feed to Ives Hollow and had it ground. I drove Lill and bay Fannie. I bought 10 high boxes for twin cheese from Metcalf and paid $1. 1 paid the grist bill of 49 cents. Then I drove up to Eaton's and got some lumber for the hay rigging and the wagon box and also 4 cedar posts. I paid him $4.46 in full.

In the afternoon, John, Blowers and the women cleaned the cellar. Crofoot came and got the manure spreader. The roads are rough to take it so far. Cora and Carrie milked my cows at night. Old Granny had her calf last night. Brockett's bridge is torn up. It is very bad crossing there.

Wednesday, May 25, 1892

It was rainy all day. We turned the cattle out for the first time this morning. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I did some writing. Kaine took care of the cows and turned them out. John took care of the horses. He cleaned my team and washed Jess's leg. He hitched the team on the load of lumber and drew it in the barn and unloaded it. I got ready and took Bellinger's hog back home. I went on to the village and delivered Curran's butter, 20# and he paid me $3.80 in full for it. Wilcox bought 2# of butter and paid 40 cents for it. I paid him $30 interest on his $500 note. I settled with Snell and paid him in full to date, $5.23. 1 bought a bag of shipps from Gage for 83 cents. I had the spout on the whey strainer fixed and paid 15 cents. I got a physic pill from V.S. Rowe for my horse, Jess and paid 50 cents for it. Some medicine for myself cost 95 cents. John had me pick up a dress for his wife from Mrs. Golden and I paid $4.50 for it. I bought a pound of coffee from the Co-op store and paid 28 cents for it. The Grange store was charging 30 cents for a pound and Silliman's was 32 cents. Carrie and Cora milked in my place while I was at the Falls. I also paid for the horse shoeing, $1.20 and postage cost 6 cents for my letters. Kaine bought a bushel of potatoes for 40 cents.

Thursday, May 26, 1892

Today was cloudy but pleasant. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, John and I took Black Fannie and Bay Fannie and the platform wagon and took the yearling colts up to Smith's to pasture. We got the last of the syrup dishes that he had emptied. He paid me $4.25 for it and I paid him $5.50 for two pigs. We stopped on the way home at Thompson's and bought 4 bushels of good potatoes and 2 bushels of small ones. I paid $1.25 for them. We stopped at the vault and got some cedar to pack the robes & c. in. We drove to Madigan's to get him for the mason work but he was not at home. We got home at 1 o'clock. We changed the pigs & c. and then planted Beauties Hebrow potatoes, sweet corn, and muskmelons.

Kaine put the calves in the yard and fixed the trough for them to drink out of. He also cleaned out their pen. John went away on business of his own during the night milking. John's wife and Charlie's wife came up and milked John's cows.

Aunt Mary, Ettie, and Aunt Delight came here to spend the afternoon.

It rained again all night.

Friday, May 27, 1892

It was rainy all day. We all did chores in the morning. After breakfast, I did some writing, looked the cheese over and then tore up the west bridge. John and Mike took the bay and black Fannie and the truck wagon and got the manure away from the cow barn, and the north side of the old barn. They put the sawing machine track away and put it on the east of the old barn. In the afternoon, we made a new bridge in the barn, sowed some timothy seed, and cleaned up some chips. Charles took old Lill and the buggy and went over to the Association Cheese Factory after some whey grease. He got some and then went over to J. William's place before he came home. He broke the spring on the buggy.

I stayed up all night with Nell to see her foal but she did not.

Saturday, May 28, 1892

It was a fair day after the morning. We all did chores in the morning. Then after breakfast, John helped take care of the horses, got the colt and buggy ready and went to Eatonville to stay overnight. I cleaned the barns and kept watch of Nell. Kaine worked up the old pile of boards. We then put up 6 bushels of potatoes for Mike, 21 at 25 cents and 31 good at 35 cents. Blowers made cheese, cleaned the pig pens, and worked at the wagon box. Cora and Carrie went to Little Falls with Jess and the phaeton. I let Carrie have $3. Cora was going to stay at her Father's until Monday. Mrs. Blowers milked in John's place.

Sunday, May 29, 1892

Today was a gloomy day. Mrs. Blowers milked in the morning for John and helped Charles milk his cows. After breakfast, I took care of the horses and got Mother's rig ready for church. She drove Jess on the phaeton. She went alone. Mike Kaine took both Fannies and drew one load of manure down on his garden. I did a little rolling in the calf pasture and put the roller away. Mr. Wiseman brought his ferret over and we killed young rats with him. They went right home after and would not stay for supper.

Mrs. Blowers milked in the evening also for John as he did not get back. He had broken a spring and had it fixed at Benedict's and charged it to me, 75 cents.

John Thompson and his family called in the evening. B. Faville called here also. I kept a close watch on Nell as she was very close to having her foal. I stayed with her until 1 o'clock. She had a black filly with 2 white hind feet and a white star.

Monday, May 30, 1892

Today was rainy and bad. Carrie took the colt and the buggy and went down to Broat's. We all did the chores in the morning. Mrs. Blowers helped Charles milk his cows. After breakfast, I did some writing. The boys washed Jess's leg and cleaned the horses. They got the bay mares and the platform wagon ready. I went to the Falls and took 10 dozen eggs and got $1.56. Mrs. Blowers rode down with me and came back with Mr. Wiseman. I got a pair of shoes for myself for $2.50. 1 met Carrie in the village and paid 70 cents for the express on her roses. Our horse bill was 25 cents and dinner was 25 cents. I had the harness fixed for 40 cents and bought 1 milking tube for 50 cents. I stopped at Bellinger's and Cora came home with me. We got home as they were through milking. The boys fixed the bridge, got it all straight, put all of the stringers on, and the stone plank. They put down the platforms at the end of the pavement and drew some stone for the milk house wall. One of them did the churning. I brought one 3 bags of shipps and 200 pounds of cornmeal. I also had 2 cheese boxes and a can from Teffts. I took Mark Petrie one gallon of buttermilk and brought home the can. Mark paid me $2.

Tuesday, May 31, 1892

Today was pleasant but hot. The roads are very bad. We all did chores in the morning. Mrs. Blowers helped Charles milk. After breakfast, I did some writing. Cora and Carrie sorted roses. The boys got the bay mares and the platform wagon ready for me and put 14 cheese in the wagon, 526# in all. I let Youker have 48# and he paid me $4.68 for it. Stacy bought 476# and paid me $46.61 for them. I delivered 39 1/4# of butter to Wilcox at 18 cents = $4.86. Cora went with me and took the team after I had unloaded and went up to her folks to set roses out there. She came back at 3 o'clock and put the team in the barn. I went to May's office and at 11 o'clock took a Judgement against Pickert. I paid Jonah May $3.05 for his fees and offered to settle with Fitz but he said to wait until after the 20 days had expired. The Pickert's and their lawyer came at 2 o'clock and we began the trial at 2:30 and finished about 5 o'clock.

I bought 100# of meal and 1 bag of middlings for the chicks and paid Gage $2.25 for it and $3.90 for what I got yesterday. I got 1 gallon of floor paint and paid $1.25 at Baker's store and got 6 gallons of oil from Gardinier and paid him $10. 1 owed him 5 cents besides the old bill. My horse bill was 15 cents. I sold a 5 1/2# roll of butter for $1. 1 bought carbolic acid for 25 cents. I borrowed a cheese hook from Uncle Will Keller.

Carrie took the colt and the buggy and delivered roses to those that had ordered with her order.

Return to the Opening Page of Willard Kilts' Diary

Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000. Nancy Cioch, Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.

Contents Introduction Links Home