History From America's Most Famous Valleys
It was characteristic of the early Montgomery County settlers that the first building erected in a community included a church. Regardless of nationality, they were God-fearing people, thankful for all blessings and secure in an unfailing source of strength.
Palatine Church, erected in 1770 between Nelliston and St. Johnsville has a weathercock that looked down on marching armies since Revolutionary days, and it is still open for summer services. The sturdy little edifice erected by the German Palatines has been a prime tourist attraction for decades. A Route 5 highway improvement in 1968 enhanced its setting while adding to traffic safety.