History From America's Most Famous Valleys
Destructive raids by the French in 1666 and 1693 caused requests by the Iroquois that a military defense be established near their easternmost village at the junction of the Mohawk and the Schoharie. After delays of several years, an enclosure 150 feet square and surrounded by a wall 12 feet high was built in 1712 and named after Colonel Governor Hunter. It contained a two-story blockhouse, also a 24 foot square chapel, built of stone by Schenectady workmen. The gift of a silver communion set received from the English Queen brought thanks in naming of "Queen Anne's Chapel". The Chaplain of the Albany Fort was appointed to hold services in the Church in the Wildwood.
The stone parsonage east of Fort Hunter is still standing but the chapel was demolished during the construction of the Erie Canal